– Cottage Grove offering Utility System tours: If you’re interested in joining city councilors or the mayor on a tour of the utility system and Water Treatment Plant, contact the city manager’s office at 541-942-5501. The final two groups of three-week tours begin Aug. 12 and Sept. 2. Participants can see firsthand the operations of the facility, ask questions and gain a better understanding of the City utility operations.
– Arrest: James Richard Church was lodged in Lane County Jail on charges of Burglary 2, Theft 1, and Criminal Mischief 2 related to the burglary of Patty’s, LCSO Sgt. Scott Denham said. “It is now in the hands of the District Attorney for prosecution decisions.” Church was arrested by Springfield PD on another charge, Denham said. “We had an ‘attempt to locate’ for arrest for him in the system and our deputy contacted him at the jail to add the charges.” More than $4,000 in tobacco products were stolen overnight from Patty’s on April 20. Denham said there was no update on a similar break-in at Dari Mart at North Mill Street on May 6.
– DuFault recognized: Alyssa DuFault of Creswell was named to Linfield University’s dean’s list for the 2021 spring semester. The dean’s list identifies students who have earned a term grade-point average at least equivalent to a cum laude (at least 3.650 GPA) for a given semester. Thirty-two percent of Linfield students are first-generation college students, and more than one-third are U.S. students of color. It is based in McMinnville, Ore.
–Vobora honored: The Oregon School Activities Association selected Andy Vobora as the 2020-21 Football State Official of the Year. Vobora, a four-year letterman on the University of Oregon football team (1978-82), was inducted in the Medford Senior High School Wall of Fame in 2019. Vobora was recently recognized at the Lane County Football Officials annual barbeque and was joined by former UO football coach Rich Brooks, who was the keynote speaker at the event. Vobora is vice president of stakeholder relations for Travel Lane County.
–Football officials: High school football begins with jamborees in a matter of weeks. The Lane County Football Officials Association begins training sessions in early August and there are opportunities for new officials to get involved. Learn the game, meet new people, get some exercise and get paid. Anyone interested in becoming a high school football official is encouraged to connect with LCFOA commissioner Mike Whitty at [email protected].
– Applicants needed: Creswell is seeking interested applicants to fill two vacancies on the Park and Tree Board. Applications are available online by clicking ci.creswell.or.us or at City Hall. Submit completed applications to Roberta Tharp, City Recorder. Phone: 541-895-2531
– VFW award: The Veterans of Foreign Wars Department of Oregon Auxiliary received another National award. Under the leadership of President Debra Wright, the Oregon Auxiliary has received the National Auxiliary Circle of Excellency for 2020-21. This award is reserved for VFW Auxiliary Departments that complete all goals that have been set by the national organization, and is the highest award given. Debra is a member of the Creswell Veterans of Foreign Wars Auxiliary.
– Input sought: Springfield is seeking community input on proposed changes to the Springfield Development Code to help meet housing and economic development needs in the near future and beyond. A virtual open house and community survey have been launched seeking community feedback on the proposed changes. Community members are encouraged to visit the project webpage at bit.ly/DevCodeUpdate to view the virtual open house, then complete the community survey. The survey questions are mostly multiple-choice questions and should only take about 10 minutes to complete. The virtual open house and survey are open now through Aug. 31, 2021. This is for Phase 1 (Housing) and Phase 2 (Employment Lands).
– Health insurance: The federal government’s special enrollment period for coverage through the Affordable Care Act ends Aug. 15. Go to HealthCare.gov to learn more about the healthcare plans offered or determine if you qualify for Medicaid or CHIP.
– Children’s celebration: Willamalane Park and Recreation District will hold its annual Children’s Celebration event Saturday, Aug. 7, at Island Park from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. The event will offer a variety of booths and family-friendly activities, including games, balloon animals, big trucks, a magic show, and much more.