Deady Hall, the first building constructed at the University of Oregon, as it appeared in 1951. IMAGE/LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
A few years ago, students at the University of Oregon launched a campaign to get two campus buildings renamed: one named after Classics professor Frederick Dunn, and one named after the first president of the university's board of regents, Matthew Deady.
Dunn Hall was an easy decision. Frederick Dunn, in the early 1920s, was the boss (or, to use his official title, ”exalted cyclops”) of the Eugene cell (”klavern . . .