The Chronicle -

By Dana Merryday
CHRONICLE COLUMNIST 

What's in a name?

 

October 10, 2019

PHOTO PROVIDED/COTTAGE GROVE HISTORICAL MUSEUM

The first Cottage Grove "Swinging Bridge," circa 1925.

The Cottage Grove City Council is in a funny position in dealing with a "new" old bridge with a hazy naming history. Their job is now to agree on an official name to what everyone calls the "Swinging Bridge."

It has crossed the Coast Fork of the Willamette for 119 years. Connecting Madison Avenue on the east bank to River Road on the west, this bridge was relocated downstream to its present location in 1917. The Cottage Grove Sentinel documented a design change that gave rise to the moniker "Swinging Bridge."

In the Oct. 18, 1917 edition, under the heading "Currin Foot Bridge is Suspension...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.



 
 

Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019

Rendered 10/14/2019 19:27