The Chronicle -

By Finn J.D. John
Chronicle Columnist 

OFFBEAT OREGON HISTORY: University of Oregon founding father was once its number-one opponent


August 9, 2018

Image/Library of Congress

Deady Hall, the first building constructed at the University of Oregon, as it appeared in 1951.

A few years ago, students at the University of Oregon launched a campaign to get two campus buildings renamed: one named after Classics professor Frederick Dunn, and one named after the first president of the university's board of regents, Matthew Deady.

Dunn Hall was an easy decision. Frederick Dunn, in the early 1920s, was the boss (or, to use his official title, "exalted cyclops") of the Eugene cell ("klavern") of the Ku Klux Klan. Being the leader of a secret terrorist organization was an obvious deal-killer when it came to having a building named after you, especially a dormitory in w...

For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.


Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019

Rendered 01/15/2020 06:38